Spell Components and Eschew Materials
The Knights of Noromath server now uses Meaglyns 3.5 spell components with one exception of note: we have added Eschew Materials Feat as a choice for spellcasters.
Divine spellcasters require a holy symbol item in order to satisfy the DF or "Divine Focus" requirement for many divine spells, and this holy symbol item must be held in the left or right hand or equipped in the necklace slot to function properly. A cleric's favored weapon may also satisfy this requirement.* The holy symbol is a "focus" item which means it is not normally consumed during spellcasting, but there is still a small chance (3% for foci) that it is consumed by the energies of the spell- so you should always carry a spare!
Arcane spellcasters require several types of focus items as well as regular material components that are consumed every time a spell is cast. These items can sometimes be purchased at area vendors, as much as they are found out in the world in various places. A patch of cured leather required to cast mage armor functions as a focus; just like a holy symbol, there is only a small chance it will be consumed each time you cast a spell.
In order to bypass the normal requirements of a spell, a caster may opt to select Eschew Materials and then toggle the feat. You will receive the following server message:
Note: You are now eschewing materials in favor of XP. If you have spell components, they will be consumed first.
This means that if you lack the spell component needed for a spell, you'll cast it anyway, but at an experience point cost. Experience point costs are based upon the level of the spell you are eschewing materials for and spells with particularly costly components cost a number of experience points equal to 1/5 of the costly material component. For this reason, most casters avoid eschewing materials for their spells except during emergencies.
The Knights of Noromath supports the ability of spellcasters to stack their relevant caster levels for the purpose of calculating caster level based effects. They also stack their non-relevant caster levels, but at a reduced rate. See the following link for full details about Gestalt Spellcasting: Gestalt Spellcasting (This site)
Changes to Clerical Domains
All clerical domains have been revised to match 3.5 pen and paper domain spell lists as closely as possible.
In addition to the base domains offered in NWN, we have added the Charm, Darkness, Fate, Time and Illusion domains for characters to pick from. If you're uncertain what domains your deity offers, please consult our religions page.
Changes to Clerical Spell Availability
The power you can receive from a deity is based on the strength of that power in Faerun. Demigods are only granting their specialty priests up to 3rd level spells, whereas lesser deities are granting up to 6th level spells, and intermediate or greater deities are granting up to 9th level spells.
Please note that some specialty priest powers may continue to advance with clerical level.
Paladin Spell Changes
We have removed the greater magic weapon and holy sword spells, instead choosing to migrate these effects to holy weapons that can be found in the server. When a paladin equips a holy weapon, effects are rendered to that weapon based on the paladin's level and include damage, enhancement bonus, dispelling, and other effects appropriate to the paladin class.
- Bless Weapon
- Smite Infidel
- Detect Undead
Spells Not Affecting Undead Players
The following spells either do not affect Undead at all or have effects that are mitigated.
Acid fog | Blindness/deafness | Cloudkill | Dirge | Drown | Flesh to stone | Great Thunderclap | Healing sting | Horrid Wilting | Implosion | Infestation of Maggots | Mass blindness/deafness | Ray of Enfeeblement | Regenerate | Stinking cloud
Spells Affecting Undead Players
The following spells affect undead in a specific way, beneficial or not.
Control Undead | Cure Critical Wounds | Cure Light Wounds | Cure Minor Wounds | Cure Moderate Wounds | Cure Serious Wounds | Harm | Heal | Healing Circle | Inflict Critical Wounds | Inflict Light Wounds | Inflict Minor Wounds | Inflict Moderate Wounds | Inflict Serious Wounds | Mass Heal | Negative Energy Burst | Negative Energy Ray | Negative Energy traps | Searing Light | Stone Bones |Sunbeam | Sunburst | Undeath to Death |
Warlock Eldritch Negative Blast
Light Spells on Knights of Noromath
The following spells are considered light spells and include adverse effects versus Undead and Underdark creatures.
Daylight* | Searing Light | Flame Strike | Hammer of the Gods | Prismatic Spray | Sunbeam | Sunburst
*Not yet implemented.
New Spells for Knights of Noromath
The following are new spells for the Knights of Noromath Server:
Affliction* | Aganazzar's Flame Wave | Aspect of the Deity, Lesser* | Blasphemy* | Blood of the Martyr* | Blur | Call Lightning Storm* | Chill Touch* | Claws of Darkness | Command Undead* | Corrosive Grasp* | Crushing Despair* | Darkbolt | Daylight | Deep Slumber* | Detect Evil | Detect Undead | Dimension Door |Disintegrate* | Disrupt Undead* | Divine Sacrifice* | False Life* | Fleshshiver* | Glibness* | Good Hope* | Halt Undead* | Heroism | Heroism, Greater* | Hypnotic Pattern*| Lantern Light* | Lively Step* | Lullaby* | Memory Rot* | Polar Ray* | Rage | Rainbow Pattern* | Scorching Ray | Shadow Spray* | Shadow Well* | Smite Infidel | Summon Mount | Summon Undead Animal | Teleport | Transport via plants
*Not yet implemented.
The following existing spells have been modified.
- Animate Dead - This spell is capable of recreating the tireless servants of Shoon.
- Bless Weapon - This spell has been adjusted so it stacks with the benefits of holy weapons.
- Call Lightning - This spell has been adjusted to better match 3.5 standards.
- Create Greater Undead - This powerful spell is capable of recreating the tireless servants of Shoon.
- Create Undead - This powerful spell is capable of recreating the tireless servants of Shoon.
- Darkfire - This spell's duration has been adjusted.
- Endure Elements - This spell has been adjusted to better match 3.5 standards.
- Fear - This spell has been adjusted to better match 3.5 standards.
- Gate - This spell has been adjusted to better match 3.5 standards, summoning a creature based on the alignment of the caster.
- Invisibility Sphere - This spell is now a one-time radius effect.
- Magic Circle vs. Alignment - This spell is now a one-time radius effect.
- Mummy Dust - This powerful spell is capable of recreating the tireless servants of Shoon.
- Negative Plane Avatar - This potent effect calls upon a shadow plane servant.
- Planar Ally - This spell has been adjusted to better match 3.5 standards, summoning a creature based on the alignment of the caster.
- Planar Binding, Greater - This spell has been adjusted to better match 3.5 standards, summoning a creature based on the alignment of the caster. Additionally, players that are pacted to outsiders will summon servants of their dark master.
- Planar Binding, Lesser - This spell has been adjusted to better match 3.5 standards, summoning a creature based on the alignment of the caster. Additionally, players that are pacted to outsiders will summon servants of their dark master.
- Protection From Law - New variation of the protection from alignment spell.
- Protection From Chaos - New variation of the protection from alignment spell.
- Scare - This spell has been adjusted to better match 3.5 standards.
- Summon Creature I-VIII - These spells have been revised in several ways to provide terrain specific benefits. Their duration has also been set to 1 turn per caster level, which matches 3.5 standards. Full details are here: Summoning Changes (This site)
- Summon Shadow -This spell is capable of calling upon negative plane servants.
- Time Stop - This spell is now a radius effect.
- True Seeing - This spell does not automatically reveal creatures in stealth. It provides the caster with the ability to pierce illusion magic, only.